Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Evolution of Circle Wave Pendants



I started making this series of jewels which I call circle wave pendants back in the 1980's when we were living on some property that we bought on the San Juan Ridge north of Nevada City in the hills just south of the Middle Fork of the Yuba River. We lived without being connected to the electricity grid for a number of years, at first making jewelry either in daylight or when working at night using the light of kerosene lamps. I did buy a generator to run the polishing motor and other electric tools but a lot of our work didn't take electricity. Later I put up some solar panels to power lights and built a studio with skylights. It was an interesting time. After we moved to the Mendocino coast in 1997 we spent a lot of time at the ocean and I saw even more wave forms beginning to find their way into our designs
These three pendants pictured are characteristic of some of the first wave of
this series although a lot at the beginning were even simpler than these. They have continued to evolve and change up to this day and have become a very integral part of our successful jewelry business. The series continues to develop and change which is typical of the way I make jewelry. I'll make a design and am happy with it but will then think about how I can make the next one at least a little different. Different metals, different stones, different bail, different size,  change the lines, add new elements. This keeps it interesting for me as opposed to making pieces that are the same and it also lets previous customers find something different the next time that they see our work at an art show. At most shows that we do, up to 90% of our sales are to people who have purchased from us before so it's vital that we have new designs and variations. In the next few days I'll post more images to show how this series has evolved over the last 35 plus years.

No comments:

Post a Comment